Walgrove Avenue Elementary School fosters an innovative learning environment that develops global awareness and a shared responsibility for our community. The Walgrove experience will lay the foundation for a lifelong love and enthusiasm for learning and the pursuit of knowledge.
Walgrove is a diverse community of learners, including students, staff and parents, who communicate with mutual respect as they support each other within a shared set of core beliefs.
The Walgrove staff is actively engaged in delivering an enriched, standards based curriculum for all students. The Walgrove staff have creative freedom within a safe environment that supports the emotional, physical and social growth of all students, with respect to their diversity.
- We believe children learn best when they are seen as creative and inventive discoverers.
- We believe that hands on experience, prior knowledge, self discovery, guided learning and direct instruction are key for students to construct and gain knowledge.
- We believe children learn best through intrinsic motivation and a love of learning.
- We believe that all children learn best when their diverse individual experiences, backgrounds and voices are valued and respected giving an equitable opportunity for all to reach their maximum potential.
- We believe that children learn best when the school environment supports children’s social and emotional growth as a foundation for their academic growth.
- We believe that cooperation among students, staff and parents, involving open communication and respect for each other’s diversity, is critical to a chid’s academic and social emotional growth.
“Children construct their intelligence and understanding of the world by interacting with materials, people and ideas.”