A big part of the Friends of Walgrove mission is building community – and what a special one we have built over the years! We wanted to honor this mission and find a way to make us feel closer together while we’re apart, so we are kicking off an interactive art project called “Community Love Notes” at Walgrove! Here are ALL the details:
- Dates, February 6-14: The event kicks off at 9am Saturday, February 6 at 9 am and runs through 5pm on Valentine’s Day, February 14. Come anytime during those dates to leave your “love note” and visit anytime to read everyone’s collection of notes. We don’t have an end date for the installation, so we will try to leave it up as long as we are getting community participation and it is faring well in the elements. Our hope is it inspires the community to fill up the entire fence!
- Location – there will be a banner posted near the gate to the Wildlands on Appleton Way where you can start hanging your notes (look for the image above on the banner). Supplies for creating your note will be stocked in the white mailbox near the gate (look for the orange monarch sticker) and will be replenished daily.
- Supplies – you’ll find pre-strung wooden hearts and Sharpies to create your perfect love note. Also feel free to take one home and decorate it with your own supplies (e.g., paint, glitter, etc.) to make it extra special. Just bring it back when you’re ready. We are hoping for a big outpouring of love, so you’re welcome to leave one message per family member so everyone can participate*
- Love Notes – leave a message to the community, to our school, or even a specific person or people. Please keep the messages positive (and “g-rated”). Here are some prompts if you need help getting inspired:
- What do you love about Walgrove/Your Community?
- What does Walgrove/Your Community mean to you?
- Who do you love at Walgrove and why? (a special shout out to a friend or teacher will be an extra special surprise when they find it on the wall)
- What do you wish for Walgrove/Your Community?
- Spread the Word! – The installation is open to our neighbors in the community, not just Walgrove families, so feel free to share our project with your friends and neighbors. The more love to spread, the better!
- Note: Please follow public health guidelines for masks and social distancing
Please come share the love you have in your hearts for Walgrove and our community and stop by often to view the sweet messages accumulating over time! Happy Valentine’s Day Walgrove – WE love you!!!!
*You are also welcome to DIY your own message at home using your own materials. Please just be sure they are weatherproof and in keeping with the size/scale and theme of the other messages.
Use this QR code to make a donation to the project and support your local public school: